Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Iran asks Interpol to arrest Trump over killing of ex-military chief Soleimani

On January 3, 2020, on Trump’s instructions, the U.S. Army killed Soleimani with a rocket attack near Baghdad airport.

• January 5, 2021

Tehran has applied to Interpol for an international arrest warrant for U.S. President Donald Trump in connection with the murder of the Iranian top general Qassem Soleimani a year ago.

Iran’s justice spokesman Gholam Hossein Ismaili disclosed this on Iranian state television on Tuesday

“In this regard, we have filed a ‘red notice’ at Interpol against 48 people, including Trump, U.S. commanders, and Pentagon representatives as well as U.S. troops in the region,” Mr. Ismaili said.

There is constructive cooperation with neighbouring Iraq on the issue, the spokesman added.

Interpol, founded in 1923, coordinates policing operations for its 194 member states.

A country can use the “red notice” to request other countries to track down and arrest a person.

On January 3, 2020, on Trump’s instructions, the U.S. Army killed Soleimani, who was on a visit to Iraq with a rocket attack near Baghdad airport.

The influential Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes, the deputy head of Iraq’s Hashd al-Shaabi militia, was also killed.

Mr. Soleimani was the commander of the elite Quds Force, part of an elite unit of the Iranian armed forces.

He coordinated the activities of militias loyal to Iran in Iraq and other countries.

President Hassan Rowhani called Mr. Soleimani a national hero and he has become a legend in the region after his assassination by the U.S.

Tehran will avenge his murder “in due course” and at the same time take legal action against President Trump and the Pentagon, Mr. Rowhani said.

More from Peoples Gazette

Knife

States

Woman stabs 14-year-old boy to death in Bayelsa

According to a source, the suspect had been involved in a lingering feud with the deceased’s grandmother.

Ed Woodward

Sport

JUST IN: Ed Woodward resigns from Man United following Super League backlash

Mirror reports that Woodward will stay on until the end of the season.

Governor Wike and president Buhari

NationWide

Buhari fond of shielding questionable characters, Pantami should be sacked

Mr Wike wondered why the Buhari-led administration would continue to allow Mr Pantami to remain in office.

Super League

Sport

Spanish court bars UEFA, FIFA from blocking breakaway Super League

FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Monday, however, said the breakaway clubs would have to face consequences of their action.

Nigeria Stock Exchange

Economy

NGX gains N88 billion to extend bullish run

The market gain was driven by price appreciation in large and medium capitalised stocks.

Muhammad Sabo Nanono

Agriculture

FG to drive agricultural mechanisation with 60,000 tractors: Minister

”We hope to train 75, 000 extension workers over a period of three years,” the minister said.